Friday, July 23, 2010

The Wheel of Time: The Fires of Heaven


"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend."

In the fifth book of this series, we follow Rand as he leads the Aiel who are loyal to him across the Spine of the World to chase the Aiel who are lead by a false dragon and are destroying towns and cities. They meet and fight the biggest battle in 1000 years in Cairhien. During the battle, Mat saves troops from being ambushed and turns into their general and uses the memories of past generals to turn the tide of battle.
A few days after the battle, Rand is told that Queen Morgase of Andor has been killed by Gaebril, who is really the Fosaken, Rahvin. Rahvin has been trying to take over Andor for the Dark One. Rand prepares a small Aiel force to travel to Caemlyn to kill Rahvin and take Andor back from him. Before he can leave, Lanfear, another Forsaken, learns of Rands relationship with Aviendha and tries to kill them both. Moraine then tackles Lanfear into a doorway that is a ter'angreal, killing them both.
Rand continues to Caemlyn and hunts Rahvin and kills him after a long fight. After the battle in Caemlyn, Asmodean is killed by an unknown person who he recognizes.
While all this is going on, Nynaeve and Elayne travel around with a menagerie looking for the base of the rebel Aes Sedai. After they find them, they resume their Aes Sedai training.

This was a very action packed and surprising book. It strung me along and had plot twists and things that I NEVER saw coming. I enjoy plot twists and surprises a lot in the books that I read, so if you like that sort of thing also, this book series is definitely for you. Just like the other books, you can't put this one down and you learn more and more about the characters and their personalities. I can't say it was my favorite of the series, because I honestly couldn't pick a favorite at this point.

2 comments:

  1. I love plot twists & surprises in books! I'm really good in predicting them, so I'm not often surprised while reading ;) That's why I love unpredictable books, so now I hope I'll start the series soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can usually see most things coming as well, but these books surprise me with some of the things that happen!

    ReplyDelete